Though I love food and find cooking therapeutic, I dread meal planning. There are few meals my kids will eat and my husband is “carb light” - meaning he’s picky on which carbs he eats. Ever seen someone only eat toppings off the pizza? It’s probably him. I came across this Easy Crispy Mongolian Beef recipe from Scrambled Chefs and gave it a try. It was a hit that even my 2 year old ate it. I literally made it in 15 minutes making this a perfect weekday meal.
I’ve changed up the recipe a bit from the original and serve it on top of broccoli (with a bowl of rice of course). Again this meal takes no time to make and I was actually waiting for the rice to finish cooking in the rice cooker.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin/beef chuck, cut into strips. Flank steak can also be used, cut against the grain.
- ½ cup cornstarch
- Broccoli, cut
For the Sauce: (Tip: This makes approximately 1 cup of sauce. You can decrease this by half-ing the measurements of soy sauce and water)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp hoisin sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar (Tip: can decrease to 1 heaping tablespoon)
- 1 tsp cornstarch, diluted in 3 tsp water
- ½ cup green onion, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- While you are cutting the beef and broccoli, boil a small pot of water. This is for the broccoli.
- Start off by tossing the beef strips in cornstarch. Make sure the strips are coated evenly with cornstarch. Tip: Putting the beef stripes in a plastic bag and tossing with cornstarch is probably the easiest.
- Boil the broccoli if the water is ready.
- Cook the beef stripes in oil in single layer. Over-crowding the pan will steam the beef. Remove and set aside.
- The next step is the sauce you want to make sure all the ingredients are ready to go because it goes quick! (The first time I made this, I had to take the pan off the heat.) In a saucepan, heat oil on high heat setting. Quickly add in the garlic. Stir quickly for 10 seconds (or even less. You don’t want the garlic to brown). Immediately add in the soy sauce, water, and hoisin sauce. Bring the sauce to a quick boil.
- Add in the brown sugar and cornstarch. Mix thoroughly. You will see the sauce thicken.
- Now add in the beef strips and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the green onions and cook for an additional minute.
- The broccoli should be done by now. Place on a plate and the beef will go on top.
Serve hot with steamed rice.